In the Spring of 2015, Mediate BC issued its second annual survey to its Civil and Family Roster mediators to learn more about the use of mediation in British Columbia.
Some highlighted findings:
- On average, mediators conducted 25 civil mediations, 20 family mediations and 9 workplace mediations in 2014
- In over 60% of family and workplace mediations, at least one participant was not represented by counsel
- The largest increase in civil mediation issues were in restorative justice and employment
- The largest increase in family mediation issues was in division of assets/debts
The top 5 growth areas for mediation as identified by Mediate BC mediators are:
- Family Mediation, Court Connected
- Wills, Estates, Succession Planning
- Workplace, employment, Occupational Health & Safety
- Elder Care
- Online or Technology Assisted Mediation
For more insight into the business of mediation in British Columbia, read the entire summary here (and the 2014 summary here).